Thyroid underfunction: women more often affected

The "Hashimoto's thyroiditis" is one of the most common autoimmune diseases – not infrequently it causes a primary hypothyroidism. Above all, working women affected. If you suffer from Hashimoto, there is usually an inflammation of the thyroid gland. This causes your own immune system to attack the thyroid gland. Consequence: the function of the important organ is limited over years and even completely stopped in severe cases. Important thyroid hormones are no longer produced enough. The causes of Hashimoto: In addition to genetic heredity, unknown viruses and bacteria or hormonal changes such as pregnancy or puberty, permanent stress and mental stress can trigger the disease. Especially working women suffer from it. Professional or private pressure aggravates the symptoms. Stress is harmful. In an autoimmune disease like Hashimoto, the immune system works against its own body. Often then the entire organism is affected. The disease is very different and can be in two phases. First, the inflammation leads to increased secretion of hormones in the thyroid gland. This can lead to overfunction and the metabolism is running at full speed. Typical symptoms in this phase are nervousness, hectic and a constant feeling of restlessness. Only in the second phase, the symptoms are reversed and it sets in a permanent hypofunction. Possible consequences are then moods to depression, circulatory problems, lack of motivation, uncontrolled weight gain and brittle hair. Hormone therapy can help. Many sufferers are unaware that a thyroid malfunction is to blame for their discomfort. In a thyroid check, the doctor can detect an enlarged thyroid or nodular changes by palpating the neck region. If a suspected thyroid is suspected, an ultrasound scan will be performed. Through them, the size and location of the thyroid change can be determined. The thyroid gland is involved in the formation of the hormones thyrotropin (TSH), triiodothyronine (T3) and thyroxine (T4). A blood test can be used to determine the concentration of thyrotropin in the body. High TSH with low T3 and T4 values ​​indicates hypothyroidism. Hashimoto can not be cured but treated. About 80 percent of patients can be freed from the symptoms by means of an adapted hormone therapy. The remaining 20 percent have to deal with numerous complaints despite treatment.